Miles that Matter (MTM), a program promoting the health and wellness of our team members while also giving back to our plant communities, is celebrating five years. For every mile a team member or an immediate family member exercises, Tyson Foods donates a pound of protein to a feeding agency in that Tyson community. That’s significant since one pound of food can generate up to four meals.
“Food insecurity is an all-too-common challenge in the communities we call home,” said Waters Cahill, associate brand manager and MTM Chicago chapter lead. “Thanks to Tyson’s generosity, Miles that Matter gives us a unique opportunity to give back to the communities we love by simply spending time outside (or inside!) walking, running, biking, or otherwise exercising.”
Since its beginning in 2016, the program has grown to include over 50 chapters and has donated over one million pounds of food – over four million meals – to those in need in our communities. The program recently went international with a chapter in the Netherlands, and we’re at work on chapters in Brazil, London, Shanghai, India, and Mexico.
”I am excited to be able to help others while benefiting my own health, all with the simple act of moving,” said Kalyn Oden, manager of customer development and an MTM chapter lead. “Who knew walking, playing golf, yard work or chasing the kids around the yard could also make a huge impact in someone’s life.”
MTM Through the Years
- In 2017, the Northwest Arkansas chapter donated 50,000 pounds of protein to the Northwest Arkansas Food Bank.
- In 2018, we expanded the program to six more Tyson communities, adding chapters in Dakota Dunes, Rochelle, Dallas, Chicago, Wilkesboro, and Macon. Our Miles that Matter teams walked, ran, and cycled so many miles, they donated more than 275,000 pounds of protein to food banks in their local areas.
- In 2019, the program grew to 25 chapters, with team members logging enough miles to donate more than 345,000 pounds of protein.
- In 2020, we almost doubled our chapter amount. Even through a year of adversity, team members were able to surpass 2019’s total by contributing enough mileage for 350,000 pounds of protein donated to feeding agencies across the country.
- In 2021, we’ve set some ambitious goals. We’ve challenged our participants to log a total of 500,000 miles—almost 150,000 additional miles than the previous two years. We’ve also expanded the program to take place year-round.
Our team members are passionate about giving back to their communities, and Tyson Foods supports their efforts in many ways. Team members can triple their miles when they take part in select community events, and Tyson matches registration fees at a 1:1 rate through our Giving Together program. Volunteer hours are also matched at $12 per hour, funds that are deposited into team members’ giving accounts to be donated to charities of their choice.
Learn more about how we support and give back to our communities here.