In September 2020, Tyson Foods launched a new internal video series, Table Talk, which brings together team members and leadership for food and conversation. All participants share a favorite personal recipe, and then our leaders take questions from team members.
The series is characteristic of our company culture and values. All team members, including our leadership, are driven by the 5Cs: Caring, Candor, Creativity, Collaboration, and Commitment. Leaders at Tyson Foods also work to build strong relationships with team members through open communication and interaction.
“I’ve been with Tyson for 24 years and while we’re a food company, we’re a family, and what we’re doing here in Table Talk represents that,” Chad Martin, Chief Operating Officer for poultry, said in the premiere episode.
Team members featured in Episode 1 are Helen Neal, a line worker in packaging at our Van Buren, Ark. plant; Christopher Bailey, team lead in Omaha, Neb.; and Lisa Blotsky, the complex safety manager in Cumming, Ga.
All the recipes – which are included below – have a family connection. Martin’s chalupas is a dish he makes together with his family, and Neal’s chicken caldereta is a favorite from her childhood in the Philippines. Blotsky talked about pulling up the aluminum on her mom’s no-peek chicken after waiting and waiting for it to finish cooking, and Bailey shared his grandmother’s potato salad recipe alongside fried chicken.
After discussing their chosen recipes, Martin took questions.
Lisa Blotsky kicked off asking about Martin’s sources of motivation and inspiration, and Martin said that all comes back to purpose.
Helen Neal asked about the future of clinics for Tyson team members and their families, and Martin discussed new on-site or nearby clinics at some Tyson Foods locations.
Christopher Bailey wanted to know how Martin started with Tyson Foods. Martin talked about his first job as an hourly quality assurance inspector in Dakota City, Neb. and taking advantage of every opportunity presented to him.
Episodes 2 and 3 of Table Talk were recorded in November 2020 and January 2021, and episode 4 will launch this month. Look for their highlights and recipes on future The Feed posts.
Chad Martin’s Chalupas
- 1 pack Tyson Trimmed & Ready Chicken Breasts
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 pack tostadas
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- 3 cups spring mix
- 1 diced jalapeno
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro and green onion
Chicken Rub Ingredients
- 4 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chile powder
- ½ tsp ground coffee
- Combine all rub ingredients and mix well. Rub on each chicken breast. Preheat grill to MED heat.
- Assemble 8 tostada shells on a cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spread refried beans (easier if they are warm) on each tostada and top with shredded cheese.
- Grill chicken to perfection and slice thin, to preference.
- Heat tostadas with beans and cheese in oven until cheese is melted and remove. Add chicken and garnish with fresh cilantro and green onion. Squeeze of lime on the top.
Christopher Bailey’s Fried Chicken and Grandma’s Potato Salad
- 6 pieces of Tyson Fresh Chicken
- 1.5 cups of flour
- ½ cup chicken fry flour mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper
- 1.5 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tbsp seasoned salt
Potato Salad Ingredients:
- 3 skinned potatoes
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ½ tbsp Miracle Whip
- ½ tbsp sandwich spread
- Sprigs of rosemary (for garnish)
- Fully coat Tyson Fresh Chicken pieces in egg.
- Mix into dry ingredients.
- Deep fry at 325 degrees until internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Boil 1 egg and skinned potatoes until soft. Cube boiled potatoes into small squares.
- Mix cubed potatoes with wet and dry ingredients.
- Cut 1 boiled egg and put on top of potato salad.
- Garnish finished dish with rosemary.
Lisa Blotsky’s No-Peek Chicken
- 1 box of long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can of cream of celery soup
- 1 can of water
- 1 tbsp of parsley
- Dash of curry powder
- 6-8 pieces of Tyson Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 pkg dried onion soup mix
- Grease 9×13 casserole dish.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in dish.
- Place chicken on top.
- Top with onion soup mix.
- Seal with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 2.5 hours. No peeking!
Helen Neal’s Chicken Caldereta
- 1 pound Tyson Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup cubed potatoes
- 1.5 cups cubed bell peppers (red, yellow, green)
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (optional)
- Frozen peas (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add chicken and brown – cook 15 min or until browned.
- Add garlic, onion, and tomatoes – cut until tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots – cook 15 min.
- Add pepper, bouillon, tomato sauce, bay leaves, chili flakes, and water – bring to a boil.
- Add green peas, pineapple, and bell peppers.
- Salt to taste and serve over steamed rice.