As the head of our health and safety efforts at Tyson Foods, I know just how hard we are working to identify and quickly implement new safety measures to protect our team members. It’s in the spirit of leading that I am pleased to announce a partnership with Axiom Medical to provide enhanced health services to our team members.
Axiom Medical is a leading occupational health services and incident case management provider. They will help ensure our team members have comprehensive health support as we continue to operate and begin to re-open idled facilities.
These support services will help prevent the spread of COVID-19 while effectively managing care for team members. Axiom will also be part of efforts to boost communication through ongoing check-ins with impacted team members and their families.
Axiom’s services will include:
- Health support, including medical monitoring of ill or exposed team members
- 24/7 telephonic access to licensed medical professionals
- Facilitation of return to work clearances once team members have recovered
- Ongoing education and best practices to reduce the spread of illness in the workplace
The Axiom partnership is just the latest of a host of safety measures we have already put in place to protect our team members, including:
- Taking worker temperatures before every shift and installing more than 150 infrared walkthrough temperature scanners in its facilities to assist in this effort.
- Providing protective face masks to all team members and requiring that they use them while at work.
- Helping team members adhere to social distancing guidelines on the job by installing workstation and breakroom dividers, providing more breakroom space, erecting outdoor tents where possible for additional space for breaks, clearly marking appropriate 6-foot distances in common use areas, staggering start times to avoid large gatherings as team members enter the facilities and designating monitors at each facility to help enforce social distancing.
- Partnering with Matrix Medical Network to help ensure the safety and health of team members and contractors as the company begins to reopen some facilities.
- Temporarily employing furloughed nurses and nursing students who will augment the current Tyson staff dedicated to managing the safe return to work process for team members.
We have doubled our “thank you” bonus for its frontline workers. Team members who cannot come to work because of illness or childcare issues related to COVID-19 will continue to qualify. We have also increased short-term disability coverage to 90% of normal pay until June 30 to encourage team members to stay home when they are sick.
As the largest food company in the United States, we not only bear a responsibility to lead, we embrace it. We will continue to evolve and adapt and to prioritize our team member safety, above all else.